We know it can be challenging to find family friendly activities on a budget, and even more challenging to do so while pregnant. So, we created a list of budget-friendly things to check out this summer if you are looking for something fun to do!
1) Blythewood Farmers Market
Local farmers and artisans set up shop to display their goods (for purchase), but the event is free to attend! You can enjoy live music, food trucks, crafts, and community interaction.
2) Visit a public pool or splash pad! (Columbia Parks & Recreation)
3) Sign up the kids for Vacation Bible School (VBS)!
If you are looking for something to entertain your kiddos during the summer, VBS is a great resource! While some VBS programs charge a fee, there are VBS programs that are FREE in Columbia or only cost a small fee to attend.
4) Visit the library!
Going to the library is free, and you can spend as much time there as you want! The best part? If you are a local resident in Richland or Lexington county, it is free to get a library card within the county you live in. If you live outside of either of those counties, you can get an ‘out of county’ card for an annual fee.
5) Enjoy the local playgrounds!
This is a great free activity for the whole family. There are plenty of playgrounds to choose from in the area.
- Downtown: Roy Lynch Park, Citadel Park, Hollywood Park, Valencia Park, Trenholm Park, Rosewood Park, St. Anna’s Park
- Cayce: Granby Garden Park, Cayce Historic Museum, Burnette Park, Guignard Park
- Lexington: Virginia Hylton Park
- Irmo: Irmo Community Park, Columbiana Centre Mall
6) Take your kids skating!
Roller skating is a great family activity that everyone can enjoy. And pregnant mamas – this is a great way to keep your kids entertained while you watch from the sidelines for a much needed break! Skate Station offers a family night on Mondays from 6:30pm – 8:30 pm. It is $3 per person or $6 for immediate family (up to 5 people).
7) Plan a picnic and go for a walk!
Pack your lunch to-go and get out of the house for some time outdoors!
Making time for your family is important, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. We hope you enjoy some of these options!